Summary & Blog
Hike # 10 - Flood Park - Thu Jun 27, 2019
by Doug Silverstein
Post-hike summary - We did it! -- 2019 SMC Hike-a-Palooza for Local Environmental Leaders -- 10 Treks, 20 Weeks, 1 Great Community. We got social, enjoyed nature, and broadened our networks... at 3:00-5:30pm every other Wednesday (except this last one). We leisurely explored 10 San Mateo County Parks and brewery cuisine at 6:00pm after each hike.
On this last 'hike,' we skipped the strenuous part and went straight to the socializing and network building. At a beautiful picnic table in Flood Park, we toasted champaign, sipped beer, and soaked in the success. We shared fruits & vegetables, chips & salsa, and stories of our community work. And... plans for our next adventures to increase the sustainability of our community
Attendees (7) - Carol C, Dave C, Deborah, Doug, Kathleen, Larry, Ralph (full list)
Blog: We Built Community
Come for the hikes, brews, or both… and as often as you like! This was the invitation to the community and they accepted it.
In total, the Hike-a-Palooza was a huge success. By the numbers we had...
- 41 unique hikers
- sectors - 4 business, 5 government, 32 nonprofit
- 24 organizations represented
- sectors - 4 business, 2 government, 18 nonprofits
- 112 attendances
- 20 maximum attendance
- 11.2 average attendance
- 550+ miles hiked
- 200+ beers consumed
I'm humbled by the community's response and participation. Thank you for shaping our community into a stronger group, more ready and capable to affect change than ever before.
Leaders & enthusiasts of San Mateo County-based environmental sustainability organizations across:
- 7 disciplines – climate, energy, food, land, transit, waste, & water – and
- 4 group types – business, education, government, nonprofit.
What did we achieve?
- Convene local leaders in a happy, healthy setting to build relations and stimulate ideas
- Increased awareness of 20 SMC Parks – 16,000 acres and 190 trail-miles
- Experienced the benefits of open space
How did we do it?
- Every other Wednesday from Feb 27 to Thu Jun 27
- 3:00pm at trailhead, 5:30p return; low difficulty hikes, no pets
- 6:00pm at brewery until your belly is full; no-host
THANKS TO ALL THAT ATTENDED!!!